Friday, August 8, 2008

In The Valley 20

Jodie answered the door; it was Rob.
"Where the hell have you been? I've been alone all day thanks to you."
Rob slumped past her, his head down, his eyes cast on the floor.
"Did you tell Chris about my idea? Did you tell him the idea I had? Rob?" Jodie followed him into the kitchen, and talked into his ear as he went from the fridge to the sink. "I knew it, you wouldn't stand up to Chris; he's your supervisor for Christ's sake. Why can't you man up and tell him that you want a raise? Don't you want to provide for this family?" Rob turned to her. He looked her in the eye and told her that two people hardly made a family. Rob opened the milk carton he had fetched and smelled its contents. He paused, shrugged, and poured it down the drain.
"Milk's bad." He sighed, and returned to the fridge. He scanned the inside, looking for something to drink; he'd been drinking tap water far too long. He felt he deserved better than tap water after a day of work.
"I'm so tired of this shit!" Jodie yelled, rummaging through the cupboards. "All I wanted was a nice home in a nice neighborhood with nice neighbors and a good school for my children and a neighborhood watch program so they could be safe and grow up and live normal lives. Instead; I'm out here in The Valley, watching my uterus dry up and my furniture fall apart while my loving husband works all day and comes home to ignore me and watch t.v." Tears were in her eyes, and her voice broke on the last sentence. Rob turned away, loosening his tie. He sat down on the couch. Jodie sat next to him, then leaned over till she balled up and lay her head on his lap. He ran his fingers through her hair as they sat and stared at the blank television before them.
"Sorry I'm not what you wanted." Rob sighed.
They kiss.

No comments: