Saturday, June 28, 2008

In The Valley - 18 PART TWO (read part one FIRST)(duh, right? right...)

Jodie answered the door; it was Rob.
"Where the hell have you been? I've been alone all day thanks to you."
Jodie was holding a white rag that had two safety pins attached.
Rob rushed into the door with his hands up by his face, they were covered in a mixture of shining red and dirt. He found the bathroom and slammed the door shut. The sink blasted.
Jodie didn't look surprised, "Wash your hands well. The last thing I need is blood everywhere."
A loud scream came out of the bedroom.
"Oh my GOD! I'm coming already!"
Jodie stomped down the hall.
-------
(Back in The Valley. Three days ago.)
-------
"Yeah, we can go now."
Jodie grabbed a kiss from Rob before they walked, crouching, through the woods surrounding the cabin. If this were a war, then I would tell you that they were flanking the house. Because, well, they were.
The sun was almost gone from the horizon. A gray mist hung in the atmosphere and the light was almost completely gone from the valley. There was a light on in the cabin. Only one. The rest of the windows were black.
Rob led the way. They walked slow, but not too slow, to the back door of the cabin. It was a screen door (because this was a modern cabin). The glass behind the screen was gone, the only thing keeping them out of the house was a thin sheet with holes. Sounds so simple, but it was nerve wrecking.
"We don't have to do this." Rob said in a whisper. He put his hand on Jodie's shoulder.
"I know. But you know how badly I want this. And besides, you owe me."
"Yes I do."
Jodie walked forward, upright now, and slid the screen aside as if she lived there. Rob waited in the yard and saw her disappear into the dark home.
A crash.
A yell.
Another crash.
Then Jodie burst outside, sprinting, with a small bundle in her arms, held close to her face over her shoulder.
Running up hill is exhausting. But with that kind of adrenaline, the time flies.
-------
(back at their home, three days later.)
Rob was falling asleep on the gun stock of a hunting rifle in the window.
Jodie woke him when she walked into the room.
"Anything" She asked.
Rob blinked and stretched his face. "No, no. Nothing for hours."
"Ok, well I made macaroni if you want some. That damn baby wouldn't shut up until I fed it something.
"Alright I-" Rob was started by a red hoody moving through the trees. "There he is." His face settled on the gun and he let of three shots. The figure fell. Then there was another man in a red hoody coming from the left out of the woods. Two more shots from the rifle. Two men dead on the ground.
There was a wiz and soft thump as a bullet entered the home and planted itself in the wall behind Rob and Jodie.
"Dammit, I have to got out there." Said Rob. "They've got a sniper int he hill and I can't find him from this angle."
They rushed to the back door of their home. Rob opened the door.
"Becareful. Don't let them take my baby."
"I won't Jode. You know I never lose."
"I know."
They Kiss.

2 comments: